Thursday, July 12, 2012

Living the dream

I can either upload a photo from my iPhone, or write a bit more elaborately on my laptop. This is the laptop speaking!

I'm in Bulgaria! I've wanted to come here for years and years and years... and finally it worked out this year. I was able to combine it with a business trip to London, so lucky me, I saved a bundle on air fare.

The itinerary: For about ten days, Ivan and Tzvetanka Varimezov are showing two other girls and me around the country, with a special emphasis on music and performance. We'll meet with various groups, have lessons, see historical sites... exactly the perspective that I would want. Then, on the 22nd, I'll go to the annual Plovdiv Folk Seminar to take some singing and language classes while also telecommuting for Expedia. (Love Expedia!)

Last night Ivan and Tzetze took us to a very folksy restaurant in a historic building in Sofia, where we ordered a pile of traditional Bulgarian food and heard some of their musician friends play and sing. Of course we danced and sang along! Today, tour of downtown Sofia with peeks into the Aleksandr Nevsky cathedral, the Saint George Rotunda, the Ethnographic Museum located the former royal residence, and the rehearsal space of the Philip Kutev ensemble. (Talk about sacred spaces...!)

Impression after one day: So happy! I wish I'd come sooner. But this is such a perfect introduction to the country, maybe it was worth the wait. I already can't wait to come back, and hopefully with Dunava!


No comments:

Post a Comment